Friday, December 3, 2010

Freedom and Advent and Stuff

Today I bit the bullet and did my last bit of homework for the Fall 2010 semester. I'm experiencing FREEDOM for the first time in months!

I really have mixed emotions on how this semester has gone, if it was worth it, etc. I imagine it was worth saving my sanity, because as much as I felt stressed about turning assignments in on time, I was not forced to sit in a tiny cubicle calling people all day. That, in itself, makes all the difference in the world.

And, I'd say it was worth it because this is one of the first things in a long, long time that I didn't quit halfway through, deciding it just "wasn't for me." (Ahem, CNA, waitressing, working in a collections department, etc.)

However, the other side of this coin is that I'm not returning to ECTC for the spring term. I'm feeling my way though where I should attend graduate school instead. This seems like a behemoth task, let alone actually taking (and passing) the classes.

This all brings me around to the Advent season, because incidentally I have yet another thing to be looking forward to. And isn't that what Advent in the Christmas context is all about?

It seems like every year around this time I have some tangible reminder in my life of what it's like to be "adventing." Last year it was the impending visit of my family. This year it is what comes next for Dusty and me in the coming months.

And make no doubt, we feel like big things are coming our way in 2011.

In looking forward to our position in the coming months I feel hope. I feel happiness. I feel included. I feel new.

And isn't that just the way we feel about that baby who came 2000 some odd years ago? Hope because he brought with him the key to death. Happy because he is on our side. Included because he came to us, the marginal ones. New because that's what he makes us.

Advent. Quite possibly my favorite season.

No comments: