Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Winter Destruction, Take Deux

About two years ago Kentucky saw the storm of the century. In the aftermath we were left without power and water for days (for some, weeks into months), businesses shut down, trees fell, roads were blocked--it was mayhem.

Dusty and I affectionately coined it Winter Destruction 2009.

Here are some photos, just for old time's sake:

This was the view of some of the trees from my in-law's backyard. They look so droopy and sad.

This photo is courtesy of my pal Erika, who lives in Western Kentucky. They got hit way worse than we did, but some of the roads around here looked about the same! Treachery!

Gabby was about two months old when the storm hit. What a way to enter the world! This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of her-- her expression is priceless! To me it says, "Why is it so cold?!"

I bring up all these terrible, horrible, no good, very bad memories to say that tomorrow they are predicting another whammy of a storm. I really don't think it's supposed to be anywhere nearly as bad as Winter Destruction '09 but it is supposed to be bad enough that my grandmother felt the need to call all her grandkids to sound the alarm! Her advice: "Honey, you need to get to the store and buy some milk and Diet Cokes, and make sure you have plenty of blankets and batteries."

My grandma is awesome!

To be fair to her though, a lot of us around here still reference that terrible storm and I think we're all still a little gun shy, especially with a special weather statement that reads like this:

See that last part: a significant coating of ice on power lines...trees...

Yeah, this is going to be an interesting rest of the week.


No comments: