Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Giving In

I have held out as long as I could. I was inches away last year from buying a Kindle, but I resisted bought an iPad instead.

Which has a Kindle app.

This is all happening concurrently with a challenge I've issued myself to finish all the book series-es I'm in the middle of. The list is quite staggering, but since most of it is "nerd fiction" I'll resist the urge to share with you.


What brought me to purchase my first e-book last night for use on my iPad's Kindle all was that I needed to read the next book of an unidentified series.


My local library had it, but it was due weeks ago and I'm third in line to get it, if and when it's ever returned. I began scouring my various book-buying websites (half.com/amazon.com/bookfinder.com) and realized that with what was available, factoring in shipping & handling, purchasing an e-book was going to save me 40 cents. Other perks: I could get it immediately and wouldn't have to pack it up someday if and whenever we move.


My kingdom for 40 cents!


So I gave in. I haven't started reading it yet, but I don't know how I feel about not having the physical copy of a book. As a life long bibliophile I feel like last night an almost imperceivable shift occurred in the atmosphere of our tiny bedroom. Could I be spending my night glued to my iPad instead of a library book?

Could it be both?

No comments: