Sunday, September 7, 2008

Abbey of Gethsemani

Today D and I attended mass at the Abbey of Gethsemani, just up the road in Trappist, Kentucky. (I say that like I knew Trappist existed before today. Rest assured, I did not.)

The grounds of the monastery are beautiful and I can only imagine what they will look like once Fall strolls in. It was very peaceful and quiet outside. Here is the entrance to one of the gardens that I just loved!


The service itself was interesting. To be quite frank, I was bored. I can't help it. It's not that I didn't appreciate the intimacy of the service and the orderliness of the liturgy. I was just really bored.

It started out with the monks singing and chanting. We sat in the back and the book instructed us to "sing along quietly."

Then we all strolled up to the front for Mass. I've never been sprinkled with holy water before, (though I almost bought some in Jordan at a gift shop because is said, "Holly Water from Real River Jordan!") The main guy in the green robes (clearly I'm so out of my league here; I'm sure he has a real name and that he's important) spoke about leading wayward brothers and sisters back to the Lord. It was short and sweet and he spoke in such a way that demanded attention. I liked that.

I only got the take half of the Eucharist as the monk on my left, the one with the real wine ran out about three people ahead of me. Enough of the big gulp folks!

To see their website click here.

1 comment:

Emily J. Stivers - Oh Happy Roar said...

I'm so curious as to why you decided to partake in the Eucharist! We'll have to talk about it sometime!

-Emily Jayne