Saturday, February 5, 2011

Maybe There Is, But Yes, Definitely There Is

I'm Captain Youtube lately huh? Well that's fine with me if it's fine with you'ins.

I've been re-visiting my collection of Sara Groves' music as I do pretty much once or twice a year. (Is it really re-visiting then? Who knows.)

If you don't have any of her albums you should get you some. Like now.

I remember coming across this song of hers while in high school called "Maybe There's a Loving God." Here, listen to it while you read this rest of this post so your random two minutes on my blog won't be an utter waste of time:


So this song used to make me a teensy bit uncomfortable back then. How could a Christian singer write lyrics about doubt and her wondering as to whether there maybe is a loving God somewhere out there?

She must be referring to someone else right? That's the thought I conjured to allow this song passage into my heart. For what it's worth, I'm glad I did.

Because now, ten years later, I've definitely had those doubts and I'm not too proud to admit, some lately.

I mean we're a month into 2011 and already:


Not to mention hitting the one year mark from the earthquake in Haiti, bombings in airport, unrest in other parts of the Middle East (Lebanon, Tunisia anyone?), and the list could go on and on.

I totally understand where this song is coming from. It may not even have been her intent when writing it, I don't know. But it is how it speaks to me.

There is nothing wrong with "thinking, reasoning, questioning, and praying." If there were I'd be in a heap o' trouble.

I feel like the mark of a mature walk with the Lord is one that has questioned and wondered if this whole Jesus/God/Christian thing is really all it's cracked up to be.

John the Baptist did it. And so can we.

However, I think we're secure in those questions because I've always, always come back to yes. Yes, there is a loving God.

And he's way better than we could ever imagine.

No comments: