Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Non-Fiction: It's Making a Come Back

Sadly, I still need to compile my list of the books I read last year to share on the ole Bloggy.

However, I'm pretty sure this year I've already read more non-fiction than I did in 2010, and for that I'm proud.

I'm currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Here's what the cover looks like, so you can judge the book:

First let me say that I know a lot of people had reservations about this book because it's about science-y stuff. Luckily, I'm a total science nerd when it doesn't involve me actually doing the science (a.ka. chemistry homework, A&P lab, etc.)

This book is about the HeLa cell, and about the woman they took those cells from. I love that Ms. Skloot not only dove into the science of what actually happened with her cells but took time to search out the Lackses themselves and to dig deeper into the story, making it much more touching and, well, human.

I'm only on the third chapter, so a glowing review may be premature but I. Love. This. Book.

Read it! Except don't expect to get it from the Meade County Public Library right now, because yours truly has the only copy in her purse.

No comments: