Saturday, July 4, 2009

Interesting Conversations

I've had two interesting conversations this week. Well, in all fairness, in the first one I was just a listener. In the second, I was an active participant.

Scene #1:
There are 6 people sitting at an outdoor table at Cafe 360 on Bardstown Road. One says to Dusty, "Ok Dusty, I know that if you commit adultery you'll go to hell. But what I want to know is if it's just the person who's married who goes to hell, or if I will too."

And he was serious.

What do you say to that, without preaching or launching into religi-speak that will go over his head. Don't give me a church answer. What would you say?

Scene #2:
I am sitting at Huddle House with Dusty and two great friends, (whose wedding I am thoroughly excited about!) and we get to talking about religion in the U.S. Here's the wall that we feel like we're running into: a lot of "evangelical Christians" out there are so focused on making converts that they forget Jesus words before he left us: make disciples. And desperate people don't need to be converted, they need someone to invest in them and be a living example of a living faith.

That's the long and short of the conversation, and I won't go into it all for fear of someone throwing tomatoes at me as I walk down the street.

But from these conversations I can say it was nice to be around non-like-mindedness and it was nice to be around like-mindedness. I don't feel like I get either of those on a daily basis.

No comments: