Saturday, January 29, 2011

Capital "L" Love: A Pre-Valentine's Day Meditation

This has been quite the weekend. And it has me thinking.

Dusty has this stealthy game he plays with me in which I will innocently be sitting beside him and the next thing I know he's karate chopped my knee, right in that place that makes my whole leg fly up and hit the coffee table.

I promise I'm going somewhere with this.

When I happen upon one of these "quite the weekends" or "hectic seasons of life" or "did you hear what so and so did scenarios" what is my Dusty-just-hit-me-in-the-knee jerk reaction?

Because let's face it, we all have a reaction to these kinds of things that is automatic, thoughtless; like a reflex.

And I mean this on two levels. The level of Personal Life Circumstances, when something tragic or stressful or unexpected happens (a death in the family, loss of a job, house fire, destructive meteor crashing into your backyard, etc.)

And the External Life Circumstances when perhaps something tragic, stressful, or unexpected happens to a fellow believer (Mr. So and So's big, public fall from grace, Ms. What's-Her-Name's family member's death, destructive meteor crashing into your neighbor's backyard, etc.)

I want, more than anything, for my first instinct to be love. Not love because Jesus said to love but love because Jesus loved me first love.

Capital "L" Love.

No comments: