Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Wulfe Brothers

Today at work we had the Wulfe Brothers come for a special musical performance. These guys are over the top. Click here to go to their wesbite. Ok, ok, ok I just have to give you a visual so you know what we're dealing with here:

No, your eyes are not deceiving you: that is an upside down guitar on lefty's shirt.

So these guys come in with their instruments and sing kid-friendly stuff like The Twist, The Chicken Dance, and The Hokey Pokey. And the kids are supposed to get up and dance and run around and act crazy.

We all arrive and head out to the middle of the gym where we were instructed to sit and these guys start their show. There's a lot of apprehension on everyone's faces. I can almost hear the children's thoughts: "Do I get up and dance? I want to wiggle, but am I allowed? Why is that guy's hair so long?" So nobody moves, we're just sitting there listening, wide-eyed, wondering.

I'm going to take a knee here to tell you that I, maybe more than any other teacher, have the most rambuncious, hard-to-control class in the entire center. The dynamics are really just quite ridiculous: two kids that aren't potty trained yet (they're 3), one who doesn't speak English, one with some developmental problems, and 7 out of the 10 are literally the world's most stubborn lot of three year olds one would ever meet.

So it's no surprise that "S" (name protected) is the first one, out of the 100 or so children in there, to get up and start to shimmy! He's not just clapping his hands here folks, he is groovin'! Soon "Linus" (again, name protected) gets up and starts to dance right along with "S." No one else dancing, everyone watching. These are my kids. My wild, unruly, crazy kids. My kids who run around singing, "Shake your boo-tay!" at the top of their lungs. My kids who drop the "f" bomb like it ain't no thang, they are the ones standing up and gettin' down! And I'm proud to say that they are the ones who got everyone else out on the dancefloor.

And in that shining moment, I thought, "Maybe I will miss this... just a little bit. Just a teeny, tiny bit." Then I went out and busted my best hokey pokey moves.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

It must have been such a hard decision picking out which "in front of the garage" promo picture to use. My personal favorite is the EVERYBODY IN SHORTS shot.

TOO much.

Anonymous said...

i soo remember these guys.
in elementary school they would bring them at least once a year for a day of wacky music and such.
it was soo exciting for us elementary schoolers.

until we were in 5th grade and were "too cool" for the wulfe bros

wow. i had no idea they were still doing shows...

Ed said...

So, their promotional video on their website is playing for a group of folks having a "Real Derby Party" carrying their various and sundry liquid refreshment as they dance. Classy. And then they talk about "Their Educational Family Programs are musical history lessons that delight audiences of all ages. These programs are perfect for schools". The kids probably would have gotten up and danced a lot sooner if you had given them some of what the adults in the video were having. lol