Friday, October 31, 2008

I Hate Halloween

This year, I hate Halloween.

Usually, I'm pretty indifferent. Usually it's just another day. And sure, I dressed up as a kid. I remember being a mad scientist, an indian, a pumpkin, and a ballerina. (Actually I don't remember the ballerina. I did see a picture though from when I was a wee tike.) I would collect my candy with Kyle and then we'd sort it out for days and days, and I'd eat all the stuff that I didn't really like first and save the best for last.

I'm such a best-for-last kind of girl.

This year, however, I work at a daycare. I teach three year olds. Let me give you a portrait of my day in words:
  • 10 costumes to change the kids out of
  • 4 princesses, 1 pirate, 1 spiderman, not to be confused with 1 spider, 1 clown with a nose that honks, 1 Thomas the Train, and 1 that didn't show up for the costume parade so I don't know what the heck he was.
  • 11 parents; that crowded into the room, coddled their kids until they didn't want to play but only wanted to go home; asked me if daycare was, "always this chaotic?"
  • 1 lost shoe which resulted in a phone call to me after hours in regards to said shoe's location
  • 10 three year olds on a sugar high
  • 5 parents who made goodie bags x ten kids a piece = 50 goodie bags to stuff into
  • 10 milk jugs crafted into candy storage the day before
To put a cherry on top of it all: as I got out of my car at home I was greeted by a kid in a Chuckie costume (mask and all) with a butter knife pointed at me, standing behind my car, asking me if I "wanted to play?" and then advancing upon me with the butter knife as I walked up the steps, sure that he was about it embed it into my spine.

I. hate. Halloween.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, you needed to pull out your pepper spray, point it at "chuckie" and start dialing 911 with your phone. Put a little "fear of Emily" into him!!

Lindsey said...

Sounds like your day was just like mine. I too work at at "preschool" or daycare, where I am a glorified babysitter for 3 yr. olds. Its driving me mad. Only today we were short staffed and had 23 yr. olds with me and one other teacher. My day consisted of everything you mentioned but a little boy who felt the need to push and kick his friends which ended up with two of them bleeding. All while parents were watching. I love daycares!

Emily J. Stivers - Oh Happy Roar said...

Emily.
The Chuckie costume.
Most horrifying thing.
This better not happen to me.
Ever.

Ed said...

Hmmm... I seem to remember a Burger King and a Dairy Queen. Now that was some Halloween fun.

This just in, when Peace was asked why he married Quiet he replied "Because.... ... a mime is a terrible thing to waste"