Sunday, March 8, 2009

Forgotten Victims//Compassion

Today P. Dave gave us some really good words about compassion. He used Merriam Webster's definition which I have decided I love: sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it. I love stories in the Bible where it talks about Jesus having compassion for a person, a crowd, whatever. It reminds me that I am one who has been an object of His compassion. He saw my distress and went to great lengths to alleviate it--to the point of death.

And he has given us that same charge!

What is there in your life that causes a flood of compassion to rise up in you? In my case it is the cause of the poor, of widows, and orphans. Just today I read an article about the changing roles of Iraqi war widows. (Click here.) And I felt compassion. I want to DO something!

My challenge to you this week is to find something to "feel compassionate" about! I'm going to give you a good starting place so you have no excuse.

I know some of you have heard me talk about this before but Compassion International is an organization that allows you the chance to make a difference in a child's life. For $32 a month you can become a child's lifeline. You can join in praying not only for them, but for their family as well. You'll also have the opportunity to write and receive letters, make sure they have Christmas and birthday gifts, and possibly travel to visit them. (And spare me this business about tough economic times. We are part of a Kingdom economy!)

If you look through the site and decide that Compassion is not for you, ok. We can still be friends. But again, I do challenge you to get compassionate this week.
Do it! Just do it!

1 comment:

Ed said...

We are studying Nehemiah in Bible Study this month. When Nehemiah heard of the plight of the Isrealites who had returned to Jeruselum he had compassion. Then he did something about it. It's a great example of compassion in action.

Thanks for the reminder.