Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Top 10

I never see my dad. Never. Not that he's distant or out of the picture, we're just a couple states apart. Sure we talk at least once a week and he's in Kentucky two or three times a year, but sometimes, it just doesn't seem enough.

It being Father's Day and all I thought I would write a triblog (that's Tribute Blog!) to my pops, Don. Here are my top ten memories of our 22.5 years together (in no specific order):

  1. From when I was young, I remember dad wrapping me in a blanket, slinging me over his shoulder and dumping me on my bed, all the while singing folk songs like "Old Dan Tucker."

  2. Making Brother and me say something nice about each other when we fought. (Me: "I like your hair." Kyle: "I like your shoes... sorta.")

  3. Safari Don--the hat, the truck, the whole works.

  4. Your hatred of all things edible that are white: mayo, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc.

  5. The inevitability to attract every freak, weirdo, or small screaming child on our family vacations

  6. Cut off shorts, tall socks, Converse One Stars (your shoe of choice.) Used to embarass me, now I just laugh.

  7. Making sure that from a young age Brother and I were "cultured" even if that meant dragging us to every national park and life-on-the-prairie re-enactment this side of the Mississippi (and some on the other side!)

  8. As long as I've known you've had a book in hands. You had a list of "Required Reading" meant to be completed before my graduation from high school. (Still waiting for that...) You have given me my love for books, and that's saying a lot!

  9. The fact that I have never, ever seen you without a moustache. :)

  10. Chocolate syrup, ice cream sundaes... you never cease to amaze me with how you can pack that stuff away!

  11. I had to add this one in: Most recently... you walking me down the aisle, and giving me away. Thanks for trusting Dusty so much with your little girl.


I love you daddy-o! Hope you're having a great day, whatever you're doing.


No comments: