Thursday, June 5, 2008

Yes, I Read Al Jazeera

**Author's Note: This may not be a very "PC" blog post. Brace yourself. And no mean comments please.**

I'm really quite torn by the up and coming Presidential elections. Between Obama and McCain, I'd probably vote for my neighbor downstairs. She makes really good smelling dinner every night and has impeccable decorting taste. :)

I don't utterly despise either of these men. I think I stand with loads of other Americans who are left scratching their heads wondering who to vote for since there isn't a single candidate that fits exactly into where they are.

But enough of that. Recently I read a headline on Al Jazeera that made me do just that: scratch my head and wonder.

"Obama Pledges Support For Israel"

"Obama also described the US bond with Israel as "unbreakable today, unbreakable tomorrow, unbreakable for ever" and said he spoke as a "true friend" of Israel.

"Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel and it must remain undivided," the Illinois senator said.

So what's the problem Emily? America is known for supporting Israel (Occupied Palestine... what?) Here's the Arab rebuttle:

"Hamas, however, reacted angrily, with Saeb Erekat, the senior Palestinian negotiator, telling Al Jazeera that Obama 'was giving ammunition to extremists across the region.'"

"'He runs on the slate of change, but he closes all doors for peace by saying Jerusalem should be the united capital of Israel.'"

On Senator Obama's campaign website he is very vocal about the fact that he found the war in Iraq to be "rash," a sentiment that I agree with. However, here's a direct quote from his platform on Iraq:

"I worried about, ‘an occupation of undetermined length, with undetermined costs, and undetermined consequences.’ The full accounting of those costs and consequences will only be known to history. But the picture is beginning to come into focus.'"

"An occupation of undetermined length, with undetermined costs, and undetermined consequences?" That's funny... I'd venture to say that's also on the hearts and minds of every displaced Palestinian in a refugee camp right now.

I grew up on the Israel side of the debate. I fell in love with the Arab side of the debate. It's heart against roots right now people, and I don't know what to think.

So if I could ask Senator Obama and many Christians who believe that we should let Israel get away with anything they want for fear of lightning bolts from the sky, here's what it would be:

"What would happen if America didn't give Israel its validation?"

OK! I promise, last political blog for a while...

No comments: